Political and Scientific Trends

Votes for Women. Trinity Ivy, 1914

A cartoon from the Trinity Ivy parodies the efforts of women suffragettes.

Marconi to the Rescue! Trinity Now in the Vanguard of Scientific Progress. Trinity Tripod, May 15, 1914

In 1914 a "wireless station" referred to a radio telegraph station. Initially motivated by a need to set accurate time in the Jarvis Science lab clock, the new "wireless station" was also viewed as a means to spread Trinity culture to the surrounding community. The station was built by resident science faculty. 

The text of the article reads as follows:  

Trinity now has a wireless station. It is located in the balance room of Jarvis Hall of Science. No, it has nothing to do with the Mexican War; Huerta and Villa will not be interviewed. Doctor Luther, Mr. Knowlton and Raymond W. Woodward, '14, are responsible. Dr. Luther felt a need of direct communication with Arlington, Va., from where he could get the official time at which to set the observatory clock. He called upon the physics department which put the proposition in the hands of Woodward, Trinity's wireless expert. Woodward constructed a modern receiving set with a regular galena detector of the latest type. Mr. Knowlton scraped together a spark coil and telegraph key, property of the department, and the machine was hitched onto that wire frame that runs from the roof of Jarvis Hall to Boardman Hall. Since the installation of the set, the time signal has been received several times from Arlington and the observatory clock duly corrected thereto. Who can deny that Trinity is in touch with the outside world?

By means of the sending outfit, the operator has commenced to disseminate Trinity culture throughout the community. As the outfit has a sending range of three miles and over, the citizens of Hartford who are wireless fiends ought to grow cultivated rapidly. One victim has been found already, but he is as far away as Keney Park. Mr. Woodward told the Tripod reporter in a recent interview that the lofty location of the college on the hill was very favorable to the spread of knowledge by this method.

SUNDAY CHAPEL. Peace Sunday Observed. Dr. Luther Preaches. Trinity Tripod, October 6, 1914

The United States had not yet entered the "Great War," but the campus nevertheless participated in a nation-wide day of prayer for peace. 

The sermon was summarized in the Tripod as follows:

"Peace Sunday Observed. Dr. Luther Preaches.

Dr. Luther's sermon on Sunday was of special interest and significance, to all who heard it, because of existing conditions in Europe.

President Wilson set aside last Sunday as a nation-wide day of prayer for peace in Europe, and in compliance with this command, Dr. Luther delivered a masterful sermon in which he showed how futile and useless is this nameless war. Kindled by a trivial occurrence in Austria, fanned into flame by the selfish greed of one man, and by diplomatic disagreements, this great war has grown until all Europe is now ablaze with the roaring flames of combat, which sweep resistlessly onward, leaving in their path only the charred ashes of desolation, destruction and sorrow, and all this for what purpose? Other wars have taken place, said the President, but they have been inspired by some great and noble cause, and from their remains has sprung the spirit of liberty and of new and better conditions. But from this great turmoil what good can come? Surely no benefit can result from a war involving millions of men, fighting blindly for an unknown cause.

The day of wars is not over; this will in all probability not be the last great conflict; but it is for us, as coming citizens of the United States, a nation which stands for liberty and peace, to do our best to the end that when another war does come, that it may be inspired by honest motives, by a nation and not by an individual, and that it may be a war in which righteous principles and not unscrupulous cupidity are at heart."